THE SEVENTH ORDINARY MEETING OF THE NATIONAL CONGRESS OF CHAMA CHA MAPINDUZI
1. Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) will hold its Seventh Ordinary Meeting of its National Congress on 24-25 June, 2006, at the Chimwaga Conference Centre in Dodoma.
2. This Congress will essentially be a working meeting whereby Members will receive the Report on Party Work and deliberate on the implementation of the 2000 CCM Manifesto among others.
3. However, the Congress will also elect the new Chairperson of Chama Cha Mapinduzi following Ndugu Benjamin William Mkapa’s decision to step down before the end of his tenure. By that decision of his, Ndugu Mkapa has followed the foot steps of his predecessors, namely Father of the Nation, the late Mwalimu Julius K. Nyerere and Ndugu Ali Hassan Mwinyi both of whom left the post through voluntary stepping down.
4. In its two day meeting of 29-30 April, 2006, the National Executive Committee of Chama Cha Mapinduzi unanimously nominated Ndugu Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete who is also the President of the United Republic of Tanzania the sole candidate for the post. The nomination was made in accordance with articles 108(13(a) and 110(6)(a) of the Constitution of Chama Cha Mapinduzi (May 2005 Edition) and with due consideration of rule 1 of the CCM Election Rules (February 2005 Edition) which states that candidates for the positions of the Party Chairperson and the two Vice-Chairpersons are not required to fill in forms in that they are obtained through recommendations of Party sittings.
5. Therefore, only Ndugu Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete’s name will be submitted to Members of the Congress for election.
Programme For The Seventh National Congress